Monday, June 29, 2015

To Haida Gwaii

We go to sleep in the day light and wake up after dawn. It is reminiscent of our trip to the Yukon. Today we go to Haida Gwaii. We haven't been able to find a replacement coffee pot but a solution will be found sooner or later. The line up for the ferry is very different than the one in Port Hardy. These people are going to the "Islands", no Europeans on this sailing. They were all doing the circle route in rental vehicles. We had to drive on and then turn around on the ferry. When it became too full then vehicles had to back down the ramp.....trucks pulling boats and trailers...this ferry staff was doing everything to get as many people on as possible. An hour after our designated departure time we set sail with no one left on the dock.

We found some comfy seats and set up camp for the next 6/7 hours. When you know how long you are going to be on board you make your adjustments. As it turned out it was a sunny, calm crossing. I saw a woman nearby with some hand made fish. I was curious and asked her what she was making. She was born on Haida Gwaii but now lives in Terrace. Her and her daughter were going back to do a Celebration of Life for her parents who had lived on the islands. Her father had been a fisherman and she had made all these colorful fish to represent 'the catch of the day'. They were beautiful and I asked her if I could take a picture of them. She was thrilled that I appreciated her art. I will paint them and send her a copy by email.

My interpretation to come later.

We landed at Skidegate about 6:30 not knowing where we were going. Stopped at Queen Charlotte visitor information center. I bought the book "The Golden Spruce". And we headed to the Hayden Campground only to find it full. We ended up camped out front of the Village office....(aka City Hall) ....As we are awake early we figured we could be gone before Monday workers arrived. Nobody seemed to mind we were there and we had a good sleep.

Observations,

It takes me awhile to get my blogging mojo going. I find it difficult to make my thoughts and words come out in a fluent manner.

We have been on the road six days. A lot of travel, some stress, but today, our first full day on the islands I can feel the magic. We can feel the difference between the RV and the camper. It is more work for us but we will survive.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment